Google Analytics (GA) is a free tool that tracks and reports website traffic.
University Communications (UC) mandates that all Brown web sites have GA installed with Brown's tracking ID. This will help the University monitor and achieve its communication goals.
Only selected UC and CIS staff have access to Brown's Analytics. If you would also like to monitor your site's Analytics, follow the steps in Option 2 below.
Option 1: Installing Analytics for Brown UC Only
If you have a BrownSite or a BrownBlog, GA is already installed and configured with the Brown tracking ID. If you are building a custom website, you will need to install GA through Google Tag Manager (GTM). The Brown GTM Container ID is: GTM-KX5NV9
Installing Google Tag Manager with Brown's Container ID
Paste this code as high in the <head> of the page as possible:
Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening <body> tag:
Option 2: Installing Analytics for both your Department and Brown UC
GA is installed through the University's Google Tag Manager account. GTM can add multiple Analytics scripts/accounts to a website.
You will need to setup your own Analytics account, and share that tracking ID with the Web Services team. They will then add your Analytics account to the University GTM.
- If you are not building a BrownSite, deploy the Brown GTM script on your pages following the steps in Option 1 above.
- Create a new Google Analytics account. Use your Brown e-mail address.
- Create a new Property
- Account Name: Your Department Name
- Website Name
- Website URL
- Time Zone: Eastern Time
- Click: Get Tracking ID
- Find your Google Analytics tracking ID, eg: UA-12345678-1
- E-mail the GA tracking ID to firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as the domain name(s).